Listen to @BelkBowl tell us that bowls pay attention to social media throughout the season and for the selection process and acknowledges that passionate fanbases do influence their choices. Yea, we offered him a chance to take that back.
The mentioned 79 yard punt https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWuEBIE3yFM
Part One – @belkbowl Interview
– E – Intro We’re back with another Red & White Podcast and if you haven’t had a chance to listen to our Belk Bowl preview with Justin Strawn from Miss. St’s Bully Bark Line radio show, be sure to do that. You NC State fans won’t find a better Miss. St primer out there. and continuing on our belk bowl extravaganza, this week – We’re joined by Miller Yoho of the Charlotte Sports Foundation who runs the @belkbowl twitter account.
– E – So you’ve done a Reddit AMA, active on social media and have one of the more visible bowl twitter accounts out there, aside from being a lot of fun what inspired the Belk Bowl to be so interactive with the fans?
– D – Is it true that the Belk Bowl is in fact far superior to the Russell Athletic Bowl in every way possible?
– D – How hectic is it dealing with multiple fan bases tweeting you before the selection process?
– Who was the most persistent this year?
– – does it have any impact or are the keyboard jockey’s wasting their efforts?
– Can you tell us about a time in years past where a fan base has gone over the top in either trying to get attention to be picked or the aftermath?
– I’ve seen ticket sales have been great. Do you want to go ahead and lock us in for every year? (unless we make the playoff)
– E – Can you give us some insight to the madness that goes around selecting the schools that will participate?
– D – I know NC State prides itself as being a blue-collar work hard type of school and it seems like Mississippi State is the same way and has an equally as passionate fanbase. Could it have worked out any better?
– E – Who do we have to take out for a nice dinner to get a policy change on allowing cow bells?
– D – I have one really important question. Is there any chance y’all can get Steve Harvey to announce the winner of the game?
Part Two – Basketball and Misc. (not included this week)
– Cat is good.
Part One – Interview with Justin Strawn
– Questions –
– Y’all finished 4-4 in conference and 8-4 overall. Can you give us a summary of the season as you saw it? Over/underachieve?
– What game do you wish you had back? (lost and think you really should have won)
– A lot of our fans immediately think about Dak Prescott when they hear Mississippi State. Is he the real deal like we think?
– Evan – I sort of parallel him to Jacoby Brissett, in the fact that NC State underachieved this year and he took a lot of heat for it. Do MSU fans pick apart Dak as we did Jacoby?
– It seems to be that he’s your entire offense this year.
– What kind of offense can we expect?
– Biggest Strength / Weakness
– Have there been any problems on that side of the ball this year?
– Evan – looking at the stats for the year it seems you don’t turn it over via INTs but average about 1.5 fumbles a game. Is that a fair assessment? Concern?
– Who should we look for to make a difference?
– How about defense?
– Whats the biggest strength of the defense?
– Whats the biggest weakness?
– Who should we look for to make a difference?
– What does a team have to do against Miss St to come out with a win?
– Anything at all that scares you about the matchup?
– how do you see the playoff working out?
Part One - - Belk Bowl - - The dominos fell just right and we get to stay in state for a bowl game. - Sporting News article - http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football-news/4687535-derrick-henry-tattoos-sec-photoshopped-tweet-debbie-yow-bill-battle-comments Part Two - - Coaching Changes - - ACC - - Virginia Tech - Frank Beamer out, Justin Fuente in. - Bucknell - - Hard to judge any growth/setbacks from one game against a scrub.
[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/237176636" params="color=ff5500&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false" width="100%" height="166" iframe="true" /]
- Beneficial for a couple of reasons -
- We’ll have a good crowd make the drive to Charlotte.
- It’s a 12/30 bowl which automatically gets it some prestige. Aside from that it’s growing into a great bowl year after year.
- Biggest of all - recruiting. Doesn’t hurt to have the team in Charlotte.
- Would UNC rather be there than the Russell Athletic?
- We’ll do a bowl preview next week.
- Debbie Yow -
- What an absolute load of horseshit.
- Holy PC. She was saying that kids needed to be frugal with their limited income. There’s nothing wrong with that.
- The tats and rims comment from Bama AD Bill Battle was worse, though I think it was referencing Ohio State’s deal a few years ago.
- I found it amusing that someone writing an article attacks someone’s character turned around and talked about Deb using money for botox and heels. Take a look in the mirror before you spout off random bullshit trying to take advantage of a political rhetoric.
- Miami - Al Golden out, Mark Richt in.
- Virginia - Mike London out, Bronco Mendenhall in.
- Syracuse - Scott Shafer out, Dino Babers in.
- Other Notables -
- ECU - Ruffin McNeill out, ? in.
- Possibilities -
- VT AHC - Shane Beamer
- NCSU OC - Matt Canada
- Former Michigan HC - Brady Hoke
- JMU HC - Everett Withers
- Georgia - Mark Richt out, Kirby Smart in.
- South Carolina - Steve Spurrier out, Will Muschamp in.
- Basketball -
- Started off slow and exploded.
- Another solid game from Cat and Caleb.
- Bright spot to the season so far has to be Maverick Rowan. Takes a lot of shots but he’s young and those will start to fall more and more. 9-14 overall, 4-7 from 3, and 5-6 from the line.
- Misc -
- News on Terry Henderson not good. Expect him back in February.
- Any recruiting news?
Part One -
- Belk Bowl -
- The dominos fell just right and we get to stay in state for a bowl game.
- Sporting News article - http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football-news/4687535-derrick-henry-tattoos-sec-photoshopped-tweet-debbie-yow-bill-battle-comments
Part Two -
- Coaching Changes -
- ACC -
- Virginia Tech - Frank Beamer out, Justin Fuente in.
- Bucknell -
- Hard to judge any growth/setbacks from one game against a scrub.
Unedited Show Notes
– Call from Stan will play at beginning.
– I agreed with Stan that we should beat UNC as if they are unruly children but unfortunately it turned out the other way.
– Game opened up with us getting punched in the mouth. We fought back but it was just too little too late after that big of a hole.
– Elijah Hood ran the ball 21 times for 220 yards. 10.5 a carry.
– If that’s not bad enough TJ Logan ran it 6 times for 100 yards. Marquise ran it for 53 yards.
– Hood said after the game that their OL dominated our DL in the first half.
– That wasn’t really expected. I expected the secondary to get burned but the line was a shock.
– They did what they wanted on the ground and it was embarrassing. We couldn’t get a stop in the first half.
– Why? Is it talent? Coaching? Both?
– Major key to the game was having them stopped on 3rd down early and pissing it away. They would have been forced to punt and Nicholson hit Marquise late out of bounds. That gave them the 1st and shortly after he threw a bomb downfield for a TD. That was a huge swing that we never came back from.
– Things settled down after the 1st but there was just too big a hill to climb.
– 2nd-4th quarter we kind of won but it was pointless.
– No reason to dwell on it – despite what a lot of State fans believe they are a better team. It happens and you just move on from it.
– Again, they’re a DAMN good team.
Football Season –
– Success or failure?
– People have harped on Canada all year but we ended the season averaging 33.6 points per game. That’s not awful.
– Defense was the disaster in my opinion. Including OOC games we gave up 24.8 a game. Conference jumped up to 29.6 ppg. We don’t play in the Big 12 so that’s not gonna work out.
– Games against teams who had a good offense was just too much for them. Clemson put up 56, FSU 34, UNC 45.
– It’s not all ppg, though, as situational defense was the bad part. Again – UNC scored 35 of its 45 points in the 1st quarter. There is NO excuse for that.
– We talked about coaching/talent against UNC but it goes for the whole season. What was the problem with the defense this year?
Part Two – Basketball
– LSU –
– This team is slowly starting to come together.
– The ASU loss was ugly but followed up by a win against the ranked powerhouse Ben Simmons. Oh wait I mean LSU.
– Media has a chub for him eh?
– In all seriousness they absolutely shut him down offensively. He had gone for 20 and 20 the game before and only scored 4 points in this one. He still had a double-double with 14 rebounds and 10 assists but that’s a tradeoff you take.
– LSU currently getting throttled by the College of Charleston, simmons with 3 at the half.
– Winthrop –
– Followed that up with a TOUGH game against Winthrop. You can say what you want about a small school but their the type of team that upsets a powerhouse in the NCAA Tournament. They can shoot the ball from Durham and it’s going in.
– Jimmy Gavin was Marcus Paige like with 38 points. He went 7-12 from outside and they weren’t played bad defensively. Kid just has it.
– Cat answered back with 37 of his own and was 19 of 22 from the free throw line (12-12 against LSU). That’s huge. If he can keep that number up going into ACC play we can count on free points off his drives.
– Whole team was 25-34 against Winthrop and 23-29 against Ben Simmons.
– cat needs to drive. stalls in the half court set, especially w/o henderson.
– I want us to play faster
– Michigan –
– Butt kicked. This game showed that it’s going to be a long, long season. NCAA looks farther and farther away.
– Sat and watched screaming that Cat needed to drive late in the 2nd half. Started it and started getting to the line but it was too little too late.
– Team is still meshing but there’s a few takeaways –
– Rowan be shooting.
– Cat is starting to get in the groove and show why he had talk for ACC POY.
– The Martins have grown up. Playing like men. (could you win with 5 Martins?)
– Abu is still finding himself but when he does – watch out.
– surprised by his mid-range jumper
– This team is still a ways away from passing the tournament eye test. It’s all about weathering the storm until Henderson gets back and then hoping he’s everything we think he is.
– COACHING CHANGES
– Sony Dykes Love? http://sports.yahoo.com/news/cal-s-sonny-dykes-emerging-as-college-football-s-hottest-coaching-candidate-175745670.html
Part One – Cuse Review
– Opening drive really set the tone for the game.
– Perfect balance shown that continued for most of the game.
– Nichols showed a lot of burst.
– Always a good thing when you’ve got a drive that doesn’t see a 3rd down until you’re looking at an “and goal” situation.
– The team’s opening drives both gave an indication for the game. State turned a 3rd and goal into a touchdown while Cuse settled for a FG.
– Nice to see a couple of RB’s get 12+ carries.
– I’ve harped on YPC after the big play. RG2 had a long of 19. After that he still averaged over 5 a carry on the other 12.
– Same thing for Nichols. Long of 19. Other 11 carries over 5ypc.
– Fact is Syracuse is a bad team and they treated them accordingly.
– 1st quarter says it all – Jacoby was 7/8 for 78 yards and a TD, his only incompletion was an intentional throwaway, and rushing yards were 3 over at 81 for an almost even split. As good as it gets.
– Also – the Ramos TD catch early in the 3rd quarter. WOW. Big boy catch.
– That Roseboro pick is why we get so worked up over recruiting. It doesn’t always go the way you think it will with a kid. That’s just a preview of things to come.
– Evan – about that. I saw this quote on the wolfpacker by wafflecone and I had to share
– i remember Tony Haynes saying in 2013 vs Cuse something to the affect of ‘men vs boys’ when we were playing Cuse.
4th down conversions. First drive cuse kicked a field goal pack went 3 for 3 on 4th downs. Cuse hasn’t stopped anyone all year on 4th down. 9 for 9 against them. good coaching
– Final note – to the Cuse WR that came out after the game and talked about how Cuse just doesn’t like us. Guess what asshole? We don’t like you either. 8-1.
– Evan -/are they the new Maryland/fan?
– Evan – George McDonald tweet was great
Part Two – GTHC
– We can say what we want but the fact is they’re 10-1. That’s not easy no matter the schedule, BUT they can be beat.
– Their explosiveness on offense seems to correlate with playing bad defenses.
– This offense isn’t much different than it was last year. Our defense absolutely dominated them. They don’t put up 40 on us.
– They’re a lot better on defense but still nothing special.
– They show such a dramatic improvement because Chizik runs a common sense defense which was not at all what they had last year.
– VT game was probably the toughest they’ve had in a month. The one that’s up there with it was Pitt. Those scores were 26-19 and 30-27. They blowout bad teams and have had close wins against good ones. (Debatable that VT is good but there was a lot of circumstance in that game – Beamer’s last)
– They can be beat the same way they were last year. Come out early and smack them in the mouth. Run a normal offense and an extra aggressive defense and we come out with a win.
– We’ll hit more on basketball after this episode. They’re getting better. Growing pains are ok.
– A loss without a starter isn’t terrible. Look at Carolina this week. Northern Iowa is right on par with W&M.
– made it to the round of 32, lost to Lville (would have played us had they won) not the same team though lost 3 of top 4 players
– Coaching carousel could impact the ACC in a big way.
– Jimbo’s name being thrown around for LSU. He makes more at FSU than Les is making at LSU, but if LSU is willing to pony up a $15 mil buyout then they’re willing to pay whatever for the man they want.
– Dabo is another name you’ll hear for LSU but I think he waits for Saban to leave Tuscaloosa. Again, Dabo WILL be the next Alabama coach. It’s a matter of when instead of if.
Brought to you by @coolersalt
Part One – FSU Recap/Cuse Preview
– I really hate to be the “I told you so” guy when it’s referencing something bad but the running game was a disaster. Last week against BC was fluffed up with long runs. When you don’t have those it shows in games like this against tough teams.
– J-Sam – 7 carries for 23 with a long of 14. The other 6 carries went for 1.2 ypc.
– Nyheim – 3 carries for 18 with a long of 14. The other 2 carries went for 2 ypc.
– Nichols – 3 carries for 14 with a long of 9. The other 2 carries went for a staggering 2.5 ypc.
– Jacoby – 17 carries for 25 with a long of 12. The other 16 carries went for 0.8 ypc.
– OUR LEADING RUSHER WAS OUR QB WHO AVERAGED LESS THAN 1 YARD A CARRY IF YOU TAKE AWAY THE LONE 12 YARD BREAKAWAY.
– Awful numbers led to abandoning the run. RB’s had 13 carries the entire game. That’s including having a lead for a good chunk of the first half.
– Couldn’t run the ball so we threw almost 50 times against FSU’s defense. That’s not a good thing.
– Jacoby was only the leading rusher because he was running for his life a good bit. Designed QB runs early but a lot of it was scrambling (unsuccessfully at that.)
– Fact is this was a great offense with Shad and Dayes, a good offense with Dayes, and now it’s up in the air. They can decide whether or not they’re still good.
– Again, I don’t blame anyone for this. Losing RB1 and RB2 is a massive hit. It changes an offense.
– E – YPC w/ Dayes – 6.3 and YPC w/o Dayes – 4.8
– Passing game was about what it’s been for the bulk of the season. Not many shots downfield and the ones taken weren’t successful.
– Deep balls weren’t on target a lot. Difference between this game and the BC one where they were was a collapsing pocket. Jacoby had time a lot more against BC than FSU.
– When he did have a limited amount of time there was usually not a lot open downfield.
OL & WR, i questioned Jacoby earlier in the year but this game they really emphasized that guys weren’t open downfield. TV cameras showed FSU’s tight coverage and we had no where to throw.
OL was good against BC, and while they might be the #1 ranked Defense, FSU has better athletes up front 10/10 times. It showed.
OL takes time to develop. Have to bring in talent but you have to develop them. Not like DL where you can bring in the best guys and they play b/c they are strong. Mcgirt. Richardson, Adams, Tyler Jones, Prescod. will be a good line with time. 3 4 stars and 2 guys who have played
Play calling has to adjust for not having days and not having guys who can get up.
Side note – Hate the short side field runs.
Def. played well enough to win, no help from the offense. Maguire killed us, had to stop blitzing.
– 3-7 but play a lot of close games, Clemson, LSU, FSU played them tough.
– Give up a lot of points but can we score? 30 to Central Mich, 44 to UVA, 45 to USF, 41 to Lville
– tons of injuries. Walk-on juco QB.
six game losing streak
Part Two – Basketball
William & Mary –
– Not a lot to say. It was an absolute disaster.
– When jump shots aren’t falling this team is going to be in trouble.
– Last year we had Lacey to bail us out and make some plays to cover up for poor shooting nights.
– The answer this year was supposed to be Henderson.
– Out 6-8 weeks after getting injured 7 minutes into the first game of the season. How bout that luck?
– Abu and Caleb had good games. That’s about the only positive to take from it.
South Alabama –
– Actually somewhat executed the gameplan for this one.
– Jump shots from the PG position are still lacking but that’s something that can be fixed with 1 game of shooting the ball well.
– Statline for Cat wasn’t terrible if you don’t look at FG percentage. 3 of 11.
– 2 assists shy of a triple-double.
– 11 of 12 from the line. Key for him until the jump shot shows up is to drive into the lane and get to the line.
– Bright spot so far has been Caleb. 7 of 10 shooting on the night and 4 of 6 from behind the 3 point line.
– Looks like a team that hasn’t figured it quite out offensively. There’s time but they’ve got to be a lot better if it’s gonna be 5 tourneys in a row.
– NCAA birth and this will be Gott’s best coaching job yet.
– Obvious that they miss Henderson. Open position for the player that decides they’re gonna be the go-to scorer.
– Upside of that has been playing time for Maverick Rowan.
– Went 6 of 15 against W&M and 5 of 10 against South Alabama.
– Has potential to be a REALLY good player. Looks for his shot and will only get better. I don’t want to say Scott Wood but.. Scott Wood.
Thanks to http://www.coolersalt.com/ for making this episode happen. This stuff is legit and a must have for your tailgate.
Part 1 – BC Recap
– First game without Dayes. Huge loss.
– Game went exactly how it should have. Offense controlled their side and the defense dominated.
– Got a little scared early on with the huge Alston drop. Right in the hands and no catch.
– We’ve talked about what was going on with Jacoby. Play calling, line, no trust in receivers? Look at drops like that and you know why the QB wouldn’t have a lot of confidence? OC for that matter.
– Seems like it doesn’t matter with the final score and the way the rest of the game went, but that was a perfect deep ball against #1 defense in country and it was shit.
– Jacoby was exactly what I thought he was – a good QB that can throw the deep ball. Everyone has been dogging him all year and there’s no real reason.
– Other than that Ramos and Trowell had some huge catches and great games overall.
– Team is going to look a lot different without Dayes. It turned out alright this time but the run game has to improve without him.
– The stats are misleading. YPC isn’t awful but when you look at the long runs it takes away from that.
– Gallaspy – 5 for 35 for an average of 7 per carry. But a long of 35 means the other 4 rushes netted 0 yards.
– Samuels – 8 for 32 for an average of 4 per carry. Long of 23 means the other 7 went for 1.3 per carry.
– That’s GOT to pick up. This week for that matter. That’s not going to go well in Tallahassee.
– BUT – If any other school lost RB1 and RB2 in the same season they’d get a pass. That’s not going to happen for us. Fans expect more than they should and media doesn’t seem to care.
– Defensively there’s not much to say. Domination.
– Was nice to see turnovers.
– Juston Burris, Hakim Jones, and Josh Jones all had an interception and we finally picked up a fumble.
– Even though it was a freshman walk-on playing at QB it was great to see actual execution. That’s something they can gain some confidence from and move on with.
– Held BC QB to a QBR of 17.8.
– Only problem I had was was not closing out the game and getting the shutout. They took the foot off the gas and that allowed the touchdown.
– One of the best takeaways from this game was Bombard being perfect.
– 3 for 3 XP’s and a 37 yard field goal.
– Hopefully that knocks out the mental block going forward. Can’t afford to miss kicks against FSU.
Part 2 – FSU Preview
OK, going into Tallahassee is never easy and I don’t expect to win but I’m gonna tell you why we are going to win.
1. Clemson hangover. Went to Death Valley and got lost an emotional game. 23-13 “don’t let a team beat you twice”
2. ACC Championship and playoff championships hopes are gone.
3. QB controversy….Maguire can’t run and Golson is struggling
4. Bandwagon fans have checked out. (hi #FSUTwitter)
5. Listen to find out the rest!
6. Listen to find out the rest!
7. Listen to find out the rest!
We are at the halfway point and after breaking the curse of Winston-Salem NC State faces its toughest test of the season in Clemson who is fresh off a 58-0 whipping of Miami. Fortunately for the Pack fans there are a lot of signs that something special could happen. It’s halloween after all and stranger thing have happened when top 5 teams have come to Carter-Finley on a hot streak!
Listen to our thoughts with resident twitter guru @CuBosco
[soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/230674830″ params=”color=ff5500&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false” width=”100%” height=”166″ iframe=”true” /]
What do you think is going to happen?
Dustin and Evan regroup after the podcast bye week and come out of the break in mid-season form with NC State legend and current Indianapolis Colt, Nate Irving.
Be sure to follow Nate on twitter and let us know if you’d like him back on the podcast! https://twitter.com/JusSayNate[soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/229604030″ params=”color=ff5500&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false” width=”100%” height=”166″ iframe=”true” /]
– Chance to rebound against a team that’s nowhere near as good as they were supposed to be.
– Going in favorites after the line opened VT -2.
– Game scared me a lot after week 1. VT gave OSU all they could handle. Since then it’s obvious that a lot of teams are going to be able to give OSU all they can handle.
– Brewer moved the ball against OSU before going down. Looks like he’ll be back this week.
– VT’s D line is the best we’ve seen. Struggled running against UL. Problems this week?
– Looks like we’ll get Alex Barr back. Should DEF help with the running game.
– Can Jacoby move the ball downfield?
– Defense played decently well last week. VT’s offense is horrid. If the defense loses to VT’s offense then we’re going to have problems as the season goes on.
– Who steps up and plays better than they are to get the win?
– Justin Jones credit – we forgot in the last podcast
– Bear Front – 46 Defense, Desert Swarm / ’85 Bears
3.55 ypc w/o jacoby
.66 ypc w jacoby