So here we go. Last night we had an, for a lack of a better word, interesting win over BC. Before the game everyone was chalking this up as an easy W as BC is 0-16 in the league but halfway into the game most folks are saying we should lose this game. We were bailed out with a late Mav layup with 1.1 seconds on the clock but the patience by Caleb to look for the second option is what should really be getting the praise.
The story line and what stood out to me was the defensive effort, with that kind of defense the Broughton High girls team would have gave us a tough game. Gott pointed out in his post game that Freeman is still battling leg pain, Mav has a hurt foot so we are essentially a 5 or 6 man rotation. That’s tough but I’m not ready to give Gott a pass on that because defense or the lack thereof has been a trademark of Gott’s tenure at NC State.
Someone tweeted us during the game that this game had the look of the UVA football game that marked the beginning of the end for TOB. I thought that was an interesting point but thankfully we came back and won this one.
One game left @ ND but I think in most people’s mind the season will go down as the lost season. Similar to DD’s first season when Brandon Mitchell went down in the first game of the year. We don’t know what we would have had but we do know it would be better than what we actually had.
All in All, We can’t put it out to pasture fast enough..We’ll probably win a game or two in the ACCT but i don’t expect much beyond that.
Gott’s Comments on Cat
Brody from Twitter reminded us to talk about Gott’s comments about Cat going pro or not going pro.
If you haven’t heard it, listen here. Starts at the 7:07
if it was his last game what would you say about his legacy
“he’s got a lot of basketball to play this year and should be next year here as well” Sort of under his breath.
Im not sure what to make of it. Its about what you expect a coach to say but at the same time Gott seemed to be taken by surprise with the question. You have to know its coming.
James on twitter asked us “with the 3 guys in the bench who play next year who sees cut in minutes and who might transfer”
Hate speculating on transfers because you just don’t know their personal situations. i.e. Deshaun Painter
We’ve already addressed Gott’s transfer issues
The walk-on shooter, Wallace
but he also plays the waiver wire strong.
Keep an eye on the UCLA job….
As we’ve talked about, the only job i can see Gott leaving for would be UCLA. As we’ve been saying since Alford was hired, he’s terrible and only a matter of time before he’s fired. He’s getting worse and worse each year.
Steve Alford’s buyout of $10.4m expires on April 30th, 2016….is $5.2m until April 30, 2018. #interestingfacts
Not a huge recruiting guy but I follow it enough to know what’s going on.
Good class. May have finished 8th in the ACC but there isn’t much difference between the classes 3-10 after FSU and Clemson
Sbnation report link – we will come back to that in a second
Class finished 43 in rivals and when consider the under the radar type linemen we signed (7 of them) it helps put some perspective on the rest of the class. It’s pretty good.
good read about how coaches evaluate offensive linemen http://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2016/2/16/11016644/kirby-smart-georgia-offensive-line-recruiting-uga-evaluate
Guys committed early and probably kept them from getting ranked higher but Gee and Sculthorpe have the makeup of excellent linemen . Gees dad is an alum an NFL vet.
Couple of ones that stung are Dexter and Dorn
Can’t blame a guy for picking Clemson right now and they used the hometown hero against us. He didn’t want that pressure
Dorn on the other hand had a ton of offers from the big boys and was a hard State lean (bro on basketball team) but basically change his mind on his visit here for the UNC game in the first quarter. Stings to lose a guy if his caliber to those chumps enough let alone because of that ass whipping in the first quarter
Sbnation article. Outlined how the big dogs in the leagues are out recruiting the rest of the conferences http://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2016/2/10/10939292/signing-day-2016-ncaa-recruiting-big-ten-sec-acc
Ohio St and mich combined to out recruit the rest of the big 10west
Clemson and FSU same thing vs the rest of the acc
Huge disparity and makes it hard to win. Have to win with scheme evaluations and coaching .
ACC ranked last of the Power 5 in blue chip recruits. 4 and 5 stars.
Almost scored 100
Cat with 38.
Mav played well
Caleb played well.
Good movement on offense
Still wake forest, 24 road ACC loses
What metric should define success for NC State basketball?
We want your vote. https://t.co/edRCtFjSrj
— Red and White (@RedWhitePodcast) February 7, 2016
– played hard….slow start, maverick had a good first half
– thought it was a good coaching job by Gott, players didnt execute.
– Dickie V, “Brice Johnson is a lock for ACC POY” frustrating but what do you expect.
– Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski on NC State guard Anthony “Cat” Barber: “Don’t judge how good a guy is just by the record of his team. Because they’re close to winning five more games, but he gives them a chance to win every game. He’s the toughest out in the league.”
– No 3s from the Martin boys..not a bad thing.
Evan on Gott
Dustin has an interesting comparison here, Mark Gottfried at this point into his NC State career is TOB
– Let’s dive into it.
– TOB’s highest finish in conference was a tie for 2nd in the division and a tie for the 3rd best record overall in the conference. Gottfried has tied for 4th twice. Other than that we’ve seen 7th, a tie for 6th, and it’ll be a good bit worse than that this season.
———-The kicker in those two 4th place ties is that they were in his first 2 years. Those were Sid’s players. Lowe was an awful coach but he put good guys on the roster. When the bulk of those guys left the conference finish started getting worse.
– TOB inherited a so-so team and never really upgraded the talent level. However, he won games with what he had and catered to the system. Gottfried is recruiting talent but his teams are trending downhill.
– TOB was fired because he wasn’t winning the conference. He would get us to bowl games and that was it. What has Gott done? The loving crowd will say we’ve been to 4 tournaments and 2 Sweet Sixteens. They’re right. Is that as impressive as it seems? I don’t really think so.
– We’ve been an 11, 8, 12, and an 8 seed. A team with 2 national titles in its history can’t be higher than an 8 seed? Is that what NC State basketball is?
– I can see the excitement of being in the tournament. Just being in it is acceptable for some schools. But looking at those seeds seems like something I’d expect from a Wake Forest or a normal conference winner from a smaller school. I’ll use Dayton as an example just to piss more people off.
– I’m going to rattle off 2 sets of seeds. Tell me which sounds better –
– 11, 8, 12, 8
– 7, 9, 3, 10
– Those are Gott’s first 4 years and Herb’s first 4 years. Sendek had a 5th straight year in the tournament as a 10th seed. Gott won’t have that.
– Branching off that – Gott gets teams into the tournament because he’s a master of the schedule. Being good at planning schedules isn’t all it takes to be a good coach. NC State should make the tournament. NC State shouldn’t be sitting on the bubble hoping that scheduling is what gets them in.
– TOB got teams to the football version of a postseason. We made bowl games. The schedule helped some of those years. We wouldn’t have necessarily made a bowl game without the help of a good schedule to get us there.
So the next argument people cling to is that we’ve had 2 sweet sixteens in 4 years. (I know. I was one of those guys.) Let’s break those down –
– In the first game we had a matchup against Goliath like San Diego St (6). That’s right – We were 5 seeds lower than San Diego State. Woo yay. NC State should beat San Diego State EVERY DAMN TIME they step on the court. As it should have been State won 79-65. We should be in the top half of the ACC every year. That’s the result that should come from an upper half ACC team playing SDSU.
– In the second game we had a 3 point win over Georgetown (3). This was a good Georgetown team and it was a close win. It was a good win. Georgetown and NCSU should be close to each other in perception and expectations. Nothing wrong with that.
– Next round we lose to Kansas (2). We lost 60-57. There’s no shame in that. They were very good that year and we should have lost that.
– This was a good run. This was the more respectable of the 2 sweet sixteens.
– In the first game we needed a last second tip-in from Anya to beat a 9 seed LSU. This was LSU without Ben Simmons. This was a 9 seed out of the SEC. There was nothing impressive about this win except for the fact that they didn’t quit. This team had Trevor Lacey. This team should have won that game before the last second.
– Here it is. The one that gives everyone a chubby. #1 Villanova goes down. I won’t say that a win over a 1 seed isn’t impressive because it is. I WILL say that a few weeks before the bracket came out I talked on this podcast about how I PRAYED we got Nova. I knew we could beat them. It was a horrible matchup for them and I thought we were a better team. You can go back and listen to this. I said we’d beat Nova. They were an overrated 1. Either way we won.
– Next game we lose to another ACC team in 4 seed Louisville. We should be on close to an even level with Louisville. They beat us by 10.
– A sweet sixteen is a sweet sixteen. I can break down the negatives all day but it is what it is.
– So cool. 4 years and 2 sweet sixteens. 50% of the time it happens. The first one was pretty convincing. The second? Last second win against LSU doesn’t get me stoked.
– As for the other 2 years – 2013 brought a loss to 9 seed Temple in the first game. 2014 brought a win in the FIRST FOUR. THE FIRST FOUR. We beat fellow 12 seed Xavier before losing to 5 St. Louis in the next game. The actual start of the tournament. The first four shouldn’t even count. We’ve basically been one and done’s in the other 2.
– TOB won a few bowl games. Did he win a championship? No. Gottfried has won some postseason games. Did he win a championship? No. No ACC regular season, no ACC tournament. and he’s won a couple of games in the tournament 2 out of 4 years. Do both of those not seem like the definition of mediocrity?
– With TOB we expected to make a bowl game. With Gott we expect to make the tournament. With TOB we expected to sometimes win the bowl game. With Gott we can sometimes expect to advance in the tournament. It’s gone nowhere past that.
– Do we want to be a sweet sixteen team? Is that the ceiling? Is that what your season tix and WPC dollars get you? A team that never contends for a championship? Is that acceptable? If it is then, by all means, I congratulate you. You’re getting exactly what you want.
– Problem is – NCSU is more than that. TOB led a football program that didn’t win championships but had some notable wins (remember how much you enjoyed those FSU and Clemson wins?) Seem mediocre? Gottfried leads a program that doesn’t win championships but has some notable wins (Seems the only games we can win this year are against ranked teams.) What’s the difference?
Gottfried win percentage .624
Herb Sendek .591,
Conference record 40–37 (.519)
Herb 72–88 (.450)
Part One – Interview w/ Drew Vachal of Bronco Nation News
– D – We’re joined by Drew Vachal who is the founder and creator of Bronco Nation News and he’s here to give NC State fans some insight into our new OC Eliah Drinkwitz who is 6 years removed from being a high school offensive coordinator and is now the OC of a P5 school.
– E – Let’s start with an easy one Drew, What was the general opinion of Drinkwitz? Were folks excited when he was hired?
– From a reasonable standpoint and from a fan standpoint which are usually very different.
– D – I know there’s been crazy turnover there year to year at the OC position. Looking from a pure numbers standpoint it seems like y’all had a great year. Was that on him or just the system that he inherited and continued with?
– E – What kind of general offense can we expect? Seems like a spread but you’ve seen a lot more of it than we have.
– D – Pretty impressive what he did with a first year QB. He’ll be in the same situation in Raleigh. Were the numbers put up more on the pure talent of the player or do you think the system that Drinkwitz ran had a lot to do with it?
– E – A big problem we had this year was red-zone offense. What were his go to Red Zone plays?
– Were there any questionably consistent calls? EX Lots of spread teams love the end zone fade even though it rarely works
– D – We’ve heard good things about his recruiting. Is it as good as we think and who are some of the key guys he’s landed?
– E – Any particular region of the country he’s had more success in?
Part Two – Basketball is <<< - D - Last time we were 0-4 in conference was under Les Robinson. He’s been gone a while. So that’s good. - E - Have to imagine that this team would be WAY better if it had what it was supposed to have. - Trevor Lacey was expected to come back. That would be 2 POY candidates. - Kyle Washington was expected to come back. While not always ideal he would be a decent body inside. - Terry Henderson wasn’t expected to miss every game after the first. Medical redshirt? - D - People are getting their pitchforks out. Is that reasonable? - Gott has taken us to 4 NCAA’s and 2 sweet sixteens. - There’s gotten to be consistency making the tournament but is being a bubble team and getting in acceptable? - E - Link to my tweet about disappointment - its more than about one good year. the program at this point should be able to withstand Lacey Leaving and a henderson injury. - Missed on Seth Allen and devonte Graham (killers) - disappointed in the effort - D - I’m going to shock a lot of people with this. - I’ve been very adamant that people don’t have a right to jump on Gott because of one bad year and I still feel that way. - 4 tournaments earns you the right to have a bad year. - We just extended his contract. People saying he needs to be fired for ONE bad year are crazy. - So call me crazy - this is the year to make a move. - He won’t have many years like this and we’ll be back in the tournament next year. That will continue the trend and there won’t be a good time to make a change. - Again, he doesn’t deserve it. At all. He’s earned possibly 2 bad years before addressing it but I don’t think he has another for a while. - There are people (fans and people that matter) that want Archie. This is the opportunity. - Is it dirty? Yep. - Does he deserve it? Nope. - Is not caring what it takes to have a successful program? Probably. Ledford https://twitter.com/ChandlerGreer78/status/687717058264580096
Huxtable or Canada? Who would you choose?
The greatest podcast rivalry in history. Red & White Podcast vs Riddick & Reynolds Podcast. James Curle and Matt Purdy from the Riddick & Reynolds podcast joined us for a football season roundtable wrap-up. We talked about the disappointment of a 7-6 season, coaching changes, the state of the program and why reasonable State fans should still be 100% behind Dave Doeren.
Let us know if you agree, disagree or in general just have something to say after you listen.
Links we talked about
We can all agree this season was a disappointment but how much of a pass do you give DD for losing Shad and Dayes?
0-17 vs FBS with a winning record?
Canada being fired
How did the thundersticks, fake statement sticks
I was pro cowbell, maybe not anymore
2015 NC State Offense
Scoring Offense No. 42 (33.2)
Total Offense No. 57 (412.8)
Rushing Offense No. 31 (202.0)
Passing Offense No. 77 (210.8)
2015 NC State Defense
Scoring Defense No. 51 (25.8)
Total Defense No. 29 (350.7)
Rushing Defense No. 39 (147.5)
Passing Defense No. 36 (203.2)
six games vs. winning FBS program, NC State averaged 353.7 yards per game (ranked 73rd nationally giving all teams the same criteria) and 24.3 points per game (tied for 61st)
Subscribe to Us on iTunes
Follow Us on Twitter for solid NC State conversation
Like us on Facebook for good updates
Hell you can even call and leave us a message on our CoolerSalt Hotline
or listen to the latest episode right here!
Listen to @BelkBowl tell us that bowls pay attention to social media throughout the season and for the selection process and acknowledges that passionate fanbases do influence their choices. Yea, we offered him a chance to take that back.
The mentioned 79 yard punt https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWuEBIE3yFM
Part One – @belkbowl Interview
– E – Intro We’re back with another Red & White Podcast and if you haven’t had a chance to listen to our Belk Bowl preview with Justin Strawn from Miss. St’s Bully Bark Line radio show, be sure to do that. You NC State fans won’t find a better Miss. St primer out there. and continuing on our belk bowl extravaganza, this week – We’re joined by Miller Yoho of the Charlotte Sports Foundation who runs the @belkbowl twitter account.
– E – So you’ve done a Reddit AMA, active on social media and have one of the more visible bowl twitter accounts out there, aside from being a lot of fun what inspired the Belk Bowl to be so interactive with the fans?
– D – Is it true that the Belk Bowl is in fact far superior to the Russell Athletic Bowl in every way possible?
– D – How hectic is it dealing with multiple fan bases tweeting you before the selection process?
– Who was the most persistent this year?
– – does it have any impact or are the keyboard jockey’s wasting their efforts?
– Can you tell us about a time in years past where a fan base has gone over the top in either trying to get attention to be picked or the aftermath?
– I’ve seen ticket sales have been great. Do you want to go ahead and lock us in for every year? (unless we make the playoff)
– E – Can you give us some insight to the madness that goes around selecting the schools that will participate?
– D – I know NC State prides itself as being a blue-collar work hard type of school and it seems like Mississippi State is the same way and has an equally as passionate fanbase. Could it have worked out any better?
– E – Who do we have to take out for a nice dinner to get a policy change on allowing cow bells?
– D – I have one really important question. Is there any chance y’all can get Steve Harvey to announce the winner of the game?
Part Two – Basketball and Misc. (not included this week)
– Cat is good.
Part One – Interview with Justin Strawn
– Questions –
– Y’all finished 4-4 in conference and 8-4 overall. Can you give us a summary of the season as you saw it? Over/underachieve?
– What game do you wish you had back? (lost and think you really should have won)
– A lot of our fans immediately think about Dak Prescott when they hear Mississippi State. Is he the real deal like we think?
– Evan – I sort of parallel him to Jacoby Brissett, in the fact that NC State underachieved this year and he took a lot of heat for it. Do MSU fans pick apart Dak as we did Jacoby?
– It seems to be that he’s your entire offense this year.
– What kind of offense can we expect?
– Biggest Strength / Weakness
– Have there been any problems on that side of the ball this year?
– Evan – looking at the stats for the year it seems you don’t turn it over via INTs but average about 1.5 fumbles a game. Is that a fair assessment? Concern?
– Who should we look for to make a difference?
– How about defense?
– Whats the biggest strength of the defense?
– Whats the biggest weakness?
– Who should we look for to make a difference?
– What does a team have to do against Miss St to come out with a win?
– Anything at all that scares you about the matchup?
– how do you see the playoff working out?
Part One - - Belk Bowl - - The dominos fell just right and we get to stay in state for a bowl game. - Sporting News article - http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football-news/4687535-derrick-henry-tattoos-sec-photoshopped-tweet-debbie-yow-bill-battle-comments Part Two - - Coaching Changes - - ACC - - Virginia Tech - Frank Beamer out, Justin Fuente in. - Bucknell - - Hard to judge any growth/setbacks from one game against a scrub.
[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/237176636" params="color=ff5500&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false" width="100%" height="166" iframe="true" /]
- Beneficial for a couple of reasons -
- We’ll have a good crowd make the drive to Charlotte.
- It’s a 12/30 bowl which automatically gets it some prestige. Aside from that it’s growing into a great bowl year after year.
- Biggest of all - recruiting. Doesn’t hurt to have the team in Charlotte.
- Would UNC rather be there than the Russell Athletic?
- We’ll do a bowl preview next week.
- Debbie Yow -
- What an absolute load of horseshit.
- Holy PC. She was saying that kids needed to be frugal with their limited income. There’s nothing wrong with that.
- The tats and rims comment from Bama AD Bill Battle was worse, though I think it was referencing Ohio State’s deal a few years ago.
- I found it amusing that someone writing an article attacks someone’s character turned around and talked about Deb using money for botox and heels. Take a look in the mirror before you spout off random bullshit trying to take advantage of a political rhetoric.
- Miami - Al Golden out, Mark Richt in.
- Virginia - Mike London out, Bronco Mendenhall in.
- Syracuse - Scott Shafer out, Dino Babers in.
- Other Notables -
- ECU - Ruffin McNeill out, ? in.
- Possibilities -
- VT AHC - Shane Beamer
- NCSU OC - Matt Canada
- Former Michigan HC - Brady Hoke
- JMU HC - Everett Withers
- Georgia - Mark Richt out, Kirby Smart in.
- South Carolina - Steve Spurrier out, Will Muschamp in.
- Basketball -
- Started off slow and exploded.
- Another solid game from Cat and Caleb.
- Bright spot to the season so far has to be Maverick Rowan. Takes a lot of shots but he’s young and those will start to fall more and more. 9-14 overall, 4-7 from 3, and 5-6 from the line.
- Misc -
- News on Terry Henderson not good. Expect him back in February.
- Any recruiting news?
Part One -
- Belk Bowl -
- The dominos fell just right and we get to stay in state for a bowl game.
- Sporting News article - http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football-news/4687535-derrick-henry-tattoos-sec-photoshopped-tweet-debbie-yow-bill-battle-comments
Part Two -
- Coaching Changes -
- ACC -
- Virginia Tech - Frank Beamer out, Justin Fuente in.
- Bucknell -
- Hard to judge any growth/setbacks from one game against a scrub.
Unedited Show Notes
– Call from Stan will play at beginning.
– I agreed with Stan that we should beat UNC as if they are unruly children but unfortunately it turned out the other way.
– Game opened up with us getting punched in the mouth. We fought back but it was just too little too late after that big of a hole.
– Elijah Hood ran the ball 21 times for 220 yards. 10.5 a carry.
– If that’s not bad enough TJ Logan ran it 6 times for 100 yards. Marquise ran it for 53 yards.
– Hood said after the game that their OL dominated our DL in the first half.
– That wasn’t really expected. I expected the secondary to get burned but the line was a shock.
– They did what they wanted on the ground and it was embarrassing. We couldn’t get a stop in the first half.
– Why? Is it talent? Coaching? Both?
– Major key to the game was having them stopped on 3rd down early and pissing it away. They would have been forced to punt and Nicholson hit Marquise late out of bounds. That gave them the 1st and shortly after he threw a bomb downfield for a TD. That was a huge swing that we never came back from.
– Things settled down after the 1st but there was just too big a hill to climb.
– 2nd-4th quarter we kind of won but it was pointless.
– No reason to dwell on it – despite what a lot of State fans believe they are a better team. It happens and you just move on from it.
– Again, they’re a DAMN good team.
Football Season –
– Success or failure?
– People have harped on Canada all year but we ended the season averaging 33.6 points per game. That’s not awful.
– Defense was the disaster in my opinion. Including OOC games we gave up 24.8 a game. Conference jumped up to 29.6 ppg. We don’t play in the Big 12 so that’s not gonna work out.
– Games against teams who had a good offense was just too much for them. Clemson put up 56, FSU 34, UNC 45.
– It’s not all ppg, though, as situational defense was the bad part. Again – UNC scored 35 of its 45 points in the 1st quarter. There is NO excuse for that.
– We talked about coaching/talent against UNC but it goes for the whole season. What was the problem with the defense this year?
Part Two – Basketball
– LSU –
– This team is slowly starting to come together.
– The ASU loss was ugly but followed up by a win against the ranked powerhouse Ben Simmons. Oh wait I mean LSU.
– Media has a chub for him eh?
– In all seriousness they absolutely shut him down offensively. He had gone for 20 and 20 the game before and only scored 4 points in this one. He still had a double-double with 14 rebounds and 10 assists but that’s a tradeoff you take.
– LSU currently getting throttled by the College of Charleston, simmons with 3 at the half.
– Winthrop –
– Followed that up with a TOUGH game against Winthrop. You can say what you want about a small school but their the type of team that upsets a powerhouse in the NCAA Tournament. They can shoot the ball from Durham and it’s going in.
– Jimmy Gavin was Marcus Paige like with 38 points. He went 7-12 from outside and they weren’t played bad defensively. Kid just has it.
– Cat answered back with 37 of his own and was 19 of 22 from the free throw line (12-12 against LSU). That’s huge. If he can keep that number up going into ACC play we can count on free points off his drives.
– Whole team was 25-34 against Winthrop and 23-29 against Ben Simmons.
– cat needs to drive. stalls in the half court set, especially w/o henderson.
– I want us to play faster
– Michigan –
– Butt kicked. This game showed that it’s going to be a long, long season. NCAA looks farther and farther away.
– Sat and watched screaming that Cat needed to drive late in the 2nd half. Started it and started getting to the line but it was too little too late.
– Team is still meshing but there’s a few takeaways –
– Rowan be shooting.
– Cat is starting to get in the groove and show why he had talk for ACC POY.
– The Martins have grown up. Playing like men. (could you win with 5 Martins?)
– Abu is still finding himself but when he does – watch out.
– surprised by his mid-range jumper
– This team is still a ways away from passing the tournament eye test. It’s all about weathering the storm until Henderson gets back and then hoping he’s everything we think he is.
– COACHING CHANGES
– Sony Dykes Love? http://sports.yahoo.com/news/cal-s-sonny-dykes-emerging-as-college-football-s-hottest-coaching-candidate-175745670.html