Missed FG to beat #3 Clemson
Louisville line is 20
@BiggestBiscuit Joins us to preview Louisville
Quick look back at Notre Dame
Look to @ Clemson
And FootballScoop.com‘s Scott Roussel joins us to talk about the ins and outs of college football hires and fires. Whats going on at LSU, Texas, Art Briles, Lane Kiffin, Manny Diaz and all the hot young coaches.
Oh yea, we asked him about NC State too.
Naming Dustin’s Kid
Saban to Texas
Fedora to FSU?
Riley Johnston, from BloggerSoDear.com gives us an inside look at Wake Forest, 4-0 Wake Forest!
I said something in passing on the last podcast about defense and Coach Doeren. I brought up the fact that since there was no defensive coordinator change then maybe this is what Coach D considers good defense. I didn’t mean numbers as much as the actual scheme we’ve been running. I didn’t think that an OC change was near as necessary as mixing up the defensive side and was completely stumped.
While Coach Drink definitely brings a fast paced offense that can be high scoring, I’m not as quick as lot of people in thinking it’s the second coming. We’ve played W&M and ECU. Let’s see it against a Florida State (or any P5) defense. I like to see the ball ran down team’s throats and I’m not sure we’re going to see that but I guess it doesn’t matter as long as points are scored.
Let me get back to the topic at hand (before I go down a “back in my day” rant.) We scored points last year and made a change offensively while giving up points last year and not making one defensively. Could it be because this is what’s considered good defense by the staff? I made the comment that we should go back and look at numbers from the Wisconsin days. Last night I got a message from James (@JamesIV1978) about some things at Wisconsin and then R&R’s James (@JamesCurle) sent us some numbers he had found as well. I dove in a little deeper and found some stats that could be considered as disappointing to say the least.
You can see in his first year that he had a fantastic defense. The staggering numbers to me are the total defense and pass defense with rankings of 5th and 2nd. Only one other team did it better against the pass that year. The upsetting part is the downward turn that they seemed to take after that. You can break down other numbers if you want but I’m going to concentrate mainly on pass defense. After that first year the rankings were 49th, 44th, 55th, and 26th. I guess you can consider 26th acceptable but the other years were pretty much trash.
How about Coach Huxtable? I pulled numbers from years pre-NCSU where Huxtable was a DC. Let’s take a look at those –
I didn’t mean for this to be so depressing. My deepest apologies. Anyway, it’s hard to get a basis from one year stints so I won’t worry too much about the 2002 season in Chapel Hell (MY GOD THAT DEFENSE WAS TERRIBLE) or the 2012 season at Pitt. The three year stint from 2008-2010 really gives the best outlook on his defense. For those three years Coach Hux coached pass defenses ranked 58th, 113th, and 41st. I consider 58th and 41st the definition of mediocrity and 113th on par with Evan or myself playing corner. The run defenses all those years were fantastic but the pass defense wasn’t.
Looking at both sets of numbers should seem somewhat familiar. What’s this State defense known for? They should have a fantastic line (which SHOULD stop the run) while having a suspect secondary. It’s pretty easy to see why there wasn’t a coaching change on the defensive side of the ball. By and large the numbers were probably seen as acceptable because they’re pretty much on par with the career numbers of both coaches. A decent run defense with a serviceable at best pass defense is the norm. That’s what they’ve put on the field in the past and that’s what they put on the field now.
Why should we expect things to change? History always tends to repeat itself.
Dustin and Evan talk with former NC State RB James Washington about coaching, player’s perspective, recruiting and how NC State can fix the issues.
and listener call-ins. They were great.
Quick W&M recap
Interview with Stephen Igoe from Hoist the Colors to talk #ECU
Live from the tailgate.
Four Loko’s Revenge
Dustin and Evan give a preview of the season, storylines to watch, off season quotes, Tony Romo, and predictions for the season.
Subscribe to us on iTunes
Follow them on Twitter for solid NC State conversation
Like them on Facebook for good updates
Leave us a Message
Check out Cam’s website here CVMXII.com and learn more about his book “The Process” which I can’t wait to read.
So Dustin, how’s the wedding planning going?[Intro 2: This week its tourney week [if we lose, well it was tourney week] so we’re going to try and talk hoops with our special guest Cam Bennerman.
For those who might need a refresher
[Cam Intro] In four years, Bennerman earned ACC “Sixth Man,” ACC All Team honors, Academic All ACC and consecutive Nate McMillan defensive awards. State fans remember Bennerman’s ability to hit deep three-point shots and his explosive athleticism. Personally, how can you not love a guy who flushes a fast break dunk right into Duke’s Sheldon Williams’ face?
don’t remember that one? We’ll post the vid in the note
Welcome to the show Cam. Thanks for joining us, to start, can you tell us about how it feels to posterize someone?
Alright lets get started. I’m gonna start this week off with something that has been bugging the hell out of me.
How the hell do you not vote Cat Barber ALL ACC first team? 6 voters didn’t have cat on the first team. The votes should be public so we can see if there is an agenda. OK, i get why some didn’t vote for him for player of the year but to not have him on your first team is just stupid.
– There needs to be a detailed explanation of why someone votes a certain way. Make them justify leaving players off if it seems obvious they shouldn’t have. In no world was he not deserving.
Speaking of player of the year, how does Cat only get 3 votes? Erick Green and Cat had nearly identical seasons but Cat gets 3 votes? I don’t get it at all.
– If someone voted Green POY and didn’t do the same for Cat then they should be stripped of their vote. There has to be some consistency in the way one votes. It shouldn’t change from year to year. You should always have the same set of standards.
Dustin – talk about Abu and Cat most improved players and not getting votes.
– Abu had a very quiet monster year. It was overshadowed by the poor record as well as Cat’s season-long performance. Offensively and defensively he made huge strides.
– With some more talent around him next season he’s primed to be a star.
We’ll post the stats so folks can see for themselves.
Cam, what do you think of the season Cat had?
– Would you have voted him POY?
Last week I talked about Gott’s comments about Cat, did ya’ll hear that? Dustin can you play the clip… Starts at the 7:07
As it happens, Cat already announced he’d be going through the NBA evaluation process which doesn’t mean too much other than he wants to see where he might go but I still think there is no reason for anyone to expect Cat to return. What if he has a Marcus Paige type year, he goes from at worst a 2nd round pick to who knows where.
– The draft next season is also setup to be a bit deeper. He’d get better with another year but this is the year.
I think he’s a scoring point guard and having to share the shots with DSJ, Dorn, Henderson is probably not going to help his numbers any. He’s got to go.
What do ya’ll think? Will Cat make it in the NBA?
E – So when we were talking before we started recording you mentioned you were writing a book, care to tell us what thats about or is it top secret?
Book “The Process”
How he can help Cat
Basketball industry is shady
Cam playing JJ at age 10
E – I think its a common perception among college basketball fans that AAU basketball is about as shady of a business as there is. Teams recruiting players for their AAU squads, shoe companies ‘sponsoring’ those teams and we’ve all heard the stories of highly recruited kids getting shoe money to go a certain school. How much of it is reality?
We’ll take a quick break to pay the bills and be right back to talk about the ACCt. Hopefully Cam will stick around with us.
Win over Wake
– Was ugly but a W. I feel pretty good about playing Wake anywhere outside of Winston-Salem
– Rowan was hot and exactly what Cat needed, some support
– Freeman really struggling with his leg but give the kid some credit he’s still out there giving minutes and playing solid defense
– First half, Cat looked in control, Abu looked solid
– 53-50 at half!
– Defense was a problem as it was all season. Wide open 3’s are never good but are really harmful against Duke.
– This game was a prime example of how a shallow bench comes back to haunt you late in games. At about the 8’ mark you could visually see guys wearing down. Shots got worse and rebounding became almost non-existent.
– Cat’s injury took some fire out of the team when it first happened. Took him a while to get going when he came back in but it seemed to loosen back up after a few minutes. Deficit got to 8 or 9 and between him picking it back up and Greyson Allen being his normal shit ass self we got back in the game.
– Still nothing to be ashamed of in this game (well, maybe the last possession.)
– Another year of Gott getting guys motivated in March. If we could couple that hard play with a good seed to start the tournament we’d be in pretty good shape.