Look back at the win over Cuse
Dave from Carter-Finley joins us to talk NC State vs Louisville @dfcf99
Dave Scull from CardCrunch joins us to talk about Louisville @biggestbiscuit
Quick W&M recap
Interview with Stephen Igoe from Hoist the Colors to talk #ECU
Live from the tailgate.
Four Loko’s Revenge
Listen to @BelkBowl tell us that bowls pay attention to social media throughout the season and for the selection process and acknowledges that passionate fanbases do influence their choices. Yea, we offered him a chance to take that back.
The mentioned 79 yard punt https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWuEBIE3yFM
Part One – @belkbowl Interview
– E – Intro We’re back with another Red & White Podcast and if you haven’t had a chance to listen to our Belk Bowl preview with Justin Strawn from Miss. St’s Bully Bark Line radio show, be sure to do that. You NC State fans won’t find a better Miss. St primer out there. and continuing on our belk bowl extravaganza, this week – We’re joined by Miller Yoho of the Charlotte Sports Foundation who runs the @belkbowl twitter account.
– E – So you’ve done a Reddit AMA, active on social media and have one of the more visible bowl twitter accounts out there, aside from being a lot of fun what inspired the Belk Bowl to be so interactive with the fans?
– D – Is it true that the Belk Bowl is in fact far superior to the Russell Athletic Bowl in every way possible?
– D – How hectic is it dealing with multiple fan bases tweeting you before the selection process?
– Who was the most persistent this year?
– – does it have any impact or are the keyboard jockey’s wasting their efforts?
– Can you tell us about a time in years past where a fan base has gone over the top in either trying to get attention to be picked or the aftermath?
– I’ve seen ticket sales have been great. Do you want to go ahead and lock us in for every year? (unless we make the playoff)
– E – Can you give us some insight to the madness that goes around selecting the schools that will participate?
– D – I know NC State prides itself as being a blue-collar work hard type of school and it seems like Mississippi State is the same way and has an equally as passionate fanbase. Could it have worked out any better?
– E – Who do we have to take out for a nice dinner to get a policy change on allowing cow bells?
– D – I have one really important question. Is there any chance y’all can get Steve Harvey to announce the winner of the game?
Part Two – Basketball and Misc. (not included this week)
– Cat is good.
Part One – Cuse Review
– Opening drive really set the tone for the game.
– Perfect balance shown that continued for most of the game.
– Nichols showed a lot of burst.
– Always a good thing when you’ve got a drive that doesn’t see a 3rd down until you’re looking at an “and goal” situation.
– The team’s opening drives both gave an indication for the game. State turned a 3rd and goal into a touchdown while Cuse settled for a FG.
– Nice to see a couple of RB’s get 12+ carries.
– I’ve harped on YPC after the big play. RG2 had a long of 19. After that he still averaged over 5 a carry on the other 12.
– Same thing for Nichols. Long of 19. Other 11 carries over 5ypc.
– Fact is Syracuse is a bad team and they treated them accordingly.
– 1st quarter says it all – Jacoby was 7/8 for 78 yards and a TD, his only incompletion was an intentional throwaway, and rushing yards were 3 over at 81 for an almost even split. As good as it gets.
– Also – the Ramos TD catch early in the 3rd quarter. WOW. Big boy catch.
– That Roseboro pick is why we get so worked up over recruiting. It doesn’t always go the way you think it will with a kid. That’s just a preview of things to come.
– Evan – about that. I saw this quote on the wolfpacker by wafflecone and I had to share
– i remember Tony Haynes saying in 2013 vs Cuse something to the affect of ‘men vs boys’ when we were playing Cuse.
4th down conversions. First drive cuse kicked a field goal pack went 3 for 3 on 4th downs. Cuse hasn’t stopped anyone all year on 4th down. 9 for 9 against them. good coaching
– Final note – to the Cuse WR that came out after the game and talked about how Cuse just doesn’t like us. Guess what asshole? We don’t like you either. 8-1.
– Evan -/are they the new Maryland/fan?
– Evan – George McDonald tweet was great
Part Two – GTHC
– We can say what we want but the fact is they’re 10-1. That’s not easy no matter the schedule, BUT they can be beat.
– Their explosiveness on offense seems to correlate with playing bad defenses.
– This offense isn’t much different than it was last year. Our defense absolutely dominated them. They don’t put up 40 on us.
– They’re a lot better on defense but still nothing special.
– They show such a dramatic improvement because Chizik runs a common sense defense which was not at all what they had last year.
– VT game was probably the toughest they’ve had in a month. The one that’s up there with it was Pitt. Those scores were 26-19 and 30-27. They blowout bad teams and have had close wins against good ones. (Debatable that VT is good but there was a lot of circumstance in that game – Beamer’s last)
– They can be beat the same way they were last year. Come out early and smack them in the mouth. Run a normal offense and an extra aggressive defense and we come out with a win.
– We’ll hit more on basketball after this episode. They’re getting better. Growing pains are ok.
– A loss without a starter isn’t terrible. Look at Carolina this week. Northern Iowa is right on par with W&M.
– made it to the round of 32, lost to Lville (would have played us had they won) not the same team though lost 3 of top 4 players
– Coaching carousel could impact the ACC in a big way.
– Jimbo’s name being thrown around for LSU. He makes more at FSU than Les is making at LSU, but if LSU is willing to pony up a $15 mil buyout then they’re willing to pay whatever for the man they want.
– Dabo is another name you’ll hear for LSU but I think he waits for Saban to leave Tuscaloosa. Again, Dabo WILL be the next Alabama coach. It’s a matter of when instead of if.
Brought to you by @coolersalt
Part One – FSU Recap/Cuse Preview
– I really hate to be the “I told you so” guy when it’s referencing something bad but the running game was a disaster. Last week against BC was fluffed up with long runs. When you don’t have those it shows in games like this against tough teams.
– J-Sam – 7 carries for 23 with a long of 14. The other 6 carries went for 1.2 ypc.
– Nyheim – 3 carries for 18 with a long of 14. The other 2 carries went for 2 ypc.
– Nichols – 3 carries for 14 with a long of 9. The other 2 carries went for a staggering 2.5 ypc.
– Jacoby – 17 carries for 25 with a long of 12. The other 16 carries went for 0.8 ypc.
– OUR LEADING RUSHER WAS OUR QB WHO AVERAGED LESS THAN 1 YARD A CARRY IF YOU TAKE AWAY THE LONE 12 YARD BREAKAWAY.
– Awful numbers led to abandoning the run. RB’s had 13 carries the entire game. That’s including having a lead for a good chunk of the first half.
– Couldn’t run the ball so we threw almost 50 times against FSU’s defense. That’s not a good thing.
– Jacoby was only the leading rusher because he was running for his life a good bit. Designed QB runs early but a lot of it was scrambling (unsuccessfully at that.)
– Fact is this was a great offense with Shad and Dayes, a good offense with Dayes, and now it’s up in the air. They can decide whether or not they’re still good.
– Again, I don’t blame anyone for this. Losing RB1 and RB2 is a massive hit. It changes an offense.
– E – YPC w/ Dayes – 6.3 and YPC w/o Dayes – 4.8
– Passing game was about what it’s been for the bulk of the season. Not many shots downfield and the ones taken weren’t successful.
– Deep balls weren’t on target a lot. Difference between this game and the BC one where they were was a collapsing pocket. Jacoby had time a lot more against BC than FSU.
– When he did have a limited amount of time there was usually not a lot open downfield.
OL & WR, i questioned Jacoby earlier in the year but this game they really emphasized that guys weren’t open downfield. TV cameras showed FSU’s tight coverage and we had no where to throw.
OL was good against BC, and while they might be the #1 ranked Defense, FSU has better athletes up front 10/10 times. It showed.
OL takes time to develop. Have to bring in talent but you have to develop them. Not like DL where you can bring in the best guys and they play b/c they are strong. Mcgirt. Richardson, Adams, Tyler Jones, Prescod. will be a good line with time. 3 4 stars and 2 guys who have played
Play calling has to adjust for not having days and not having guys who can get up.
Side note – Hate the short side field runs.
Def. played well enough to win, no help from the offense. Maguire killed us, had to stop blitzing.
– 3-7 but play a lot of close games, Clemson, LSU, FSU played them tough.
– Give up a lot of points but can we score? 30 to Central Mich, 44 to UVA, 45 to USF, 41 to Lville
– tons of injuries. Walk-on juco QB.
six game losing streak
Part Two – Basketball
William & Mary –
– Not a lot to say. It was an absolute disaster.
– When jump shots aren’t falling this team is going to be in trouble.
– Last year we had Lacey to bail us out and make some plays to cover up for poor shooting nights.
– The answer this year was supposed to be Henderson.
– Out 6-8 weeks after getting injured 7 minutes into the first game of the season. How bout that luck?
– Abu and Caleb had good games. That’s about the only positive to take from it.
South Alabama –
– Actually somewhat executed the gameplan for this one.
– Jump shots from the PG position are still lacking but that’s something that can be fixed with 1 game of shooting the ball well.
– Statline for Cat wasn’t terrible if you don’t look at FG percentage. 3 of 11.
– 2 assists shy of a triple-double.
– 11 of 12 from the line. Key for him until the jump shot shows up is to drive into the lane and get to the line.
– Bright spot so far has been Caleb. 7 of 10 shooting on the night and 4 of 6 from behind the 3 point line.
– Looks like a team that hasn’t figured it quite out offensively. There’s time but they’ve got to be a lot better if it’s gonna be 5 tourneys in a row.
– NCAA birth and this will be Gott’s best coaching job yet.
– Obvious that they miss Henderson. Open position for the player that decides they’re gonna be the go-to scorer.
– Upside of that has been playing time for Maverick Rowan.
– Went 6 of 15 against W&M and 5 of 10 against South Alabama.
– Has potential to be a REALLY good player. Looks for his shot and will only get better. I don’t want to say Scott Wood but.. Scott Wood.